Mastodon is an open-source and free self-hosted social networking service. It helps its users to create their users to host their server nodes in the network. You can build your own user base on your self-hosted social network. This software was built by Eugen Rochko in March 2016. The source code of Mastodon is available on GitHub. Mastodon is supported on most of the platforms like Web, iOS, Android, Linux and PureOS, BSD, Sailfish OS, macOS, Windows. It can be hosted on servers that use Unix, Linux, BSD operating systems. In this tutorial, we are going to delete the Mastodon account.
- You need to change your username, in case you want to create a new account with the same username. Because, after deleting the account, you’ll no more be able to use the same username.
- Export your data before leaving the platform. You should request your archive by going to Import options and request your archive. They will send you a zip file with all of your data which you can store somewhere safe.
Steps to Delete Mastodon Account
1. Open Mastodon Website: The first step towards deleting your Mastodon account, is going to the Mastodon website. Open your browser and type mastodon.social or whatever the domain of that self-hosted Mastodon website and hit enter. This will open the Mastodon website in your browser.
2. Login to Mastodon Website: As you reached to the Mastodon website, now you need to login to your Mastodon account. If you are already logged in the Mastodon website, then kindly ignore this step and skip to Step 3.
3. Go to Preferences: After logging into your Mastodon account, you need to go to preferences. Look for “Preferences” with a gear icon in your right sidebar and click on that. It will take you to the preferences tab of Mastodon.
4. Go to Account Section: On the preferences page, you will see the Appearance Settings by default. Now on preferences page look for the “Account” section in the left sidebar, and click on it. It will open the accounts section of Mastodon.
5. Click on Proceed here: On the Accounts Settings page, you need to scroll down Delete Account. Under “Delete Account”, you need to click on Proceed here link and it will take you to a verification page.
6. Verify Your Account Credentials: On the verification page, you’ll need to verify your access to this account by entering the same password that you previously used to create the account or at the time of account creation. Also, please read the instructions and warning before proceeding. After entering the mastodon password, click on the “DELETE ACCOUNT” button.
What will happen to your data on Mastodon?
Questions? Ask in comments. Loved this article, then share it on social media and show us some love. Thank You.
Abhishek Verma is a tech enthusiast and freelance tech journalist. He has been writing about technology for 4 years. He is passionate about every aspect of technology, especially Android. Abhishek’s articles have been referred by India Today, 360Gadgets, Times of India, MacRumors, AndroidPolice, AndroidAuthority, BGR, Zee News, and many more.